Blog #4

Today I spoke to my mom about differences she has noticed between the way her and I talk. Some of her responses were really funny and I was laughing the whole time. She said that I use a lot of slang such as “bro” and “mad.” She also told me how her and dad grew up in different states so I adopted the way I say some words from my dad and some from my mom. My dad grew up in Pennsylvania and my mom grew up in New York so my mom has more of a New York accent and she said im more like my dad with a Pennsylvanian accent. She gave me examples such as how I say “orange” with an “o” sound, like my dad, and she says “orange” with more of an “ah” sound. Also, I say “Florida” like “floor-ida” and she says it like “flar-ida.” I also asked her about the prayers they say in church because whenever we go, she is always saying different words and saying how they changed the prayers. She said, “Yeah, they are totally different now.” She also said how my dad and my Grandpa say “milk” like “melk”, “oil” like “erl”, and “toilet” like “terlet.” This reminded me how I have always noticed that the older generation says “idear” and not “idea.” Another example my mom gave me of how we speak differently is how I say “fire” and “car” but she says it with a New York accent like “fiya” and “cawh.” Lastly, I asked my mom about any differences she has noticed in spelling and she said she hasn’t noticed any except for in texting. She said when phones first came out she would text in “full words” but now there are a bunch of abbreviations such as “ttyl”, “brb”, lmfao” etc.