Bog post #4

My Dad, born in the 60s in a predominantly Urdu-speaking environment told me about the evolution in the usage of the word “love” (Mohabbat). He mentioned that in his youth this term was deeply embedded with reverence and solemnity. It was a word they used when they talked about poetry and serious conversations which almost embodied this timeless, and divine quality of love. He said that younger generations such as myself, use this word in a more casual manner. To us, this word is not reserved for epic tales or deep, philosophical discussions but is part of everyday language. He gave an example of social media posts, casual chats, and even in pop culture. He also mentioned something that was quite an informative insight, he said how my generation tends to mix Urdu and English seamlessly (he’s not wrong though), this causes traditional words like (Mohabbat) to broaden the interpretation of love which, he mentioned was absent in his formative years. While the core spelling and pronunciation are unchanged, this evolution of language mirrors changing attitudes towards relationships, norms, and openness to expressing emotions. It’s fascinating to see how language evolves with society, the word (Mohabbat) still means love, but the way we use it today shows how our relationships and social interactions have transformed over time. This evolution in language usage hints at changes in societal norms and individual expectations around relationships. This conversation has led me to believe how generational perspectives differ when it comes to the use of language.